Home

News 236 views last update:6 Aug 2012

Pig feed additive poisoned 46 in South China

In south China's Guangdong Province 46 people were poisoned after eating pig organs that contained an animal-feed additive, the local health authority reported to the China Daily.

They were all hospitalized for stomach aches and diarrhoea. Three people remained in the hospital for further observation, said Wang Guobin, an official with the Guangzhou Municipal Public Health Bureau.
 
Wang said all of them had eaten pig organs, which, according to an initial investigation, were contaminated by Clenbuterol,  a feed additive.
 
The chemical, dubbed "shouroujing" which literally means "lean meat essences for pigs" in Chinese, can prevent pigs from accumulating fat, but is poisonous to humans and can be fatal.
 
It is banned as an additive in pig feed in China and in most other countries of the world.
Wang said a further investigation is underway to find out the source of the additive.
 

Dick Ziggers

Or register to be able to comment.