Process Management

News 1233 views last update:6 Aug 2012

UK cows killed by sweet potato poisoning

Six cows in the UK have been killed after eating sweet potatoes in their ration. The Food Standards Agency said it was the first known case of sweet potato poisoning in animals reported in Britain.

The deaths on an unnamed farm in East Anglia happened over four days among a group of 15 Limousin cross beef cattle fed 7kg (15lb) of sweet potatoes each a day for more than a week in September.

Potatoes that are not stored in a cool, dark and dry place can produce dangerous toxins, leading to potato poisoning when the product is eaten. Government vets have urged farmers to limit sweet potato use despite its attractiveness as a cheap high-energy food for cattle.

To receive more animal feed news, subscribe here for free

Editor AllAboutFeed

Or register to be able to comment.