Six cows in the UK have been killed after eating sweet potatoes in their
ration. The Food Standards Agency said it was the first known case of sweet
potato poisoning in animals reported in Britain.
The deaths on an unnamed farm in East Anglia happened
over four days among a group of 15 Limousin cross beef cattle fed 7kg (15lb) of
sweet potatoes each a day for more than a week in September.
that are not stored in a cool, dark and dry place can produce dangerous toxins,
leading to potato poisoning when the product is eaten. Government vets have
urged farmers to limit sweet potato use despite its attractiveness as a cheap
high-energy food for cattle. To receive more animal feed news, subscribe here for
To comment, login here
Or register to be able to comment.