Process Management

News 1030 views last update:6 Aug 2012

Major feed business created in New Zealand

Ballance Agri-nutrients is joining forces with two of New Zealand's independent suppliers of customised animal feeds to create a new nationwide business focused on meeting farmers' complete animal nutrient needs from pasture through to supplements.

The company is purchasing a large share of two of New Zealand’s leading animal nutrient manufacturers; Seales Ltd in Morrinsville and Winslow Feeds and Nutrition in Ashburton.
The new operation, Seales Winslow, will be 51% owned by Ballance Agri-Nutrients. The shareholders of Seales Ltd and Winslow Feeds and Nutrition will each own half of the remaining 49% of the new business. Seales Winslow is expected to begin operations by June 1, 2011.
Natural fit
Ballance Agri-Nutrients Chief Executive, Larry Bilodeau, said the two firms were both recognised as leaders in producing high performance compound feeds and additives and were a natural fit with a farmer-owned co-operative focused on higher farm production.
"All three companies take a strong science-based approach to product development and on-farm advice, and this gives us great common ground.
"Better animal nutrition is the greatest single opportunity to boost the productivity of pastoral farming and New Zealand urgently needs to do this.
"We are offering a whole farm nutrient management approach which will improve productivity and animal fertility, health and welfare while reducing agriculture’s environmental footprint," said Bilodeau.
Platform for growth
Seales Winslow’s inaugural Managing Director is Ross Hyland, current MD of Seales Ltd, who says he is looking forward to leading a nationwide firm able to service the needs of farmers right across the country.
"The new venture will provide a great platform for growth and ensure we can meet the expanding demand from farmers for a complete animal nutrition package.
Winslow Group’s Managing Director and new Board director of Seales Winslow, Craig Carr says the merger creates a New Zealand first with an operation which will now fully link all aspects of nutrition on a dairy, deer or sheep and beef farm.
Ballance Agri-Nutrients and Summit Quinphos will continue to provide shareholders and customers with specialist farm-gate service through their Technical Service Representatives. Seales Winslow will also continue to maintain a team of specialist feed representatives.

Editor AllAboutFeed

Or register to be able to comment.