Kemin acquires encapsulation technology
Kemin Industries Inc. announced today that it has acquired a majority share of an Italian manufacturer of encapsulation technology and products sold via distribution by Soda Feed Ingredients.
This acquisition expands Kemin’s product portfolio of animal feed ingredients to include unique encapsulation technologies and new ingredients for the dairy industry.
“Nutritionists are constantly challenged to maximize the digestibility of sometimes poorly absorbed feed ingredients,” says John Springate, president of Kemin Agrifoods
“Sound encapsulation, or the ability to time the release of active ingredients, can target absorption of ingredients at specific locations in the digestive tract. This unique delivery system provides optimum absorption of ingredients for maximum nutrition and health benefits.”
“We look forward to joining the Kemin team as we merge our strengths together to better serve both Kemin and Soda customers,” says Giancarlo Alloa Casale, president of Soda Feed Ingredients
“Our unique encapsulation technologies will provide additional value to Kemin’s product portfolio, leading to new and greater nutritional and health solutions. Kemin’s global sales and marketing network will undoubtedly lead to greater distribution of our technology in the animal feed ingredient market.”
Kemin will invest resources in research and development to apply these technologies in the food, pet food, nutraceutical and pharmaceutical industries.
New technology and products
New encapsulation technologies include: spray freezing, fluid bed, pan coating and coacervation.
These encapsulation technologies provide a targeted release in the gastrointestinal tract, application for rumen bypass and protection for hard to handle active ingredients.
Expansion of ruminant portfolio
Additional products acquired expand Kemin’s ruminant portfolio as well as enhance its acidifier portfolio.
These products, available in select regions, include:
- LYS-50™ - a rumen bypass and intestinally released lysine for use in dairy cattle;
- Col 24™ - a rumen bypass and intestinally released choline chloride for use in dairy cattle;
- Methioplus™ - a rumen bypass and intestinally released methionine for use in dairy cattle (available in North America, Central America and parts of South America and Asia.);
- Butyprol™ is an encapsulated source of butyric acid with a low butyrate smell;
- RepaXol™ is a blend of highly concentrated, encapsulated essential oils;
- FormaXol™ is a coated source of formic acid with citric acid and encapsulated essential oils into one microgranule;
- Finicid™ is a source of acids and nutritional ingredients that assists with increasing enzyme activity during late stages of finishing pigs.
To comment, login here
Or register to be able to comment.