Bactocell approved for use in laying hens
Lallemand Animal Nutrition announced that its probiotic bacteria Bactocell has received a positive scientific opinion for use in laying hens from EFSA.
Bactocell (strain Pediococcus acidilactici MA 18/5M, deposited at Institut Pasteur) has received a positive scientific opinion for use as a zootechnical feed additive in laying hens from Feedap (the Panel on Additives and Products or Substances used in Animal Feed of EFSA, the European Food Safety Authority).
Bactocell is already authorized in Europe for use in broilers, piglets, fattening pigs and aquaculture (shrimps & salmonids).
In its scientific opinion, Feedap recognized the safety (QPS status) and efficacy of Bactocell to significantly improve laying hens performance, based on three zootechnical trials.
Moreover, the numerous independent trials conducted with Bactocell on layers show its benefits on egg production which is both quantitatively and qualitatively enhanced:
- Increased laying rate (+2%)
- Increased exported eggs mass (+4%)
- Increased egg mass…
- …without increased feed consumption (better feed conversion rate altogether: -3% on average)
- Increased shell resistance
- Increased shell mass and thickness
- More intense yolk colour
- Bigger yolk
- Reduced occurrence of blood spots
- Decreased cholesterol in egg yolk (and in hens’ serum).
These benefits on egg quality are reflected in a reduction by half of the number of downgraded eggs (less broken eggs).
To comment, login here
Or register to be able to comment.