The AFIA Board also recognized William C Barr, Bill Barr & Company, for his leadership as chairman this past year, welcomed a new chairman, Alan Gunderson, Vita Plus, and 16 new directors to the Board and elected six new members to the organization’s Executive Committee.
“AFIA experienced tremendous growth underneath Bill Barr’s leadership, and we expect to continue this trend with Al Gunderson at the helm. He and Vita Plus have been active members of AFIA and we are looking forward to benefitting from his vast industry expertise,” said Joel G. Newman, AFIA president and CEO.
AFIA Takes Concerns to Capitol Hill
Board members visited Capitol Hill to publicize AFIA positions on proposed legislation when they visited their respective members of Congress on May 16. The congressional visits, held following a legislative briefing on Capitol Hill the previous day, gave members the opportunity to discuss issues impacting the feed and feed ingredient industry.
Gunderson Succeeds Barr
Alan B. Gunderson was elevated to the chairmanship of the country’s largest feed organization at the meeting on May 16. Gunderson, employee owner and vice president of VP Holdings, the parent company of Vita Plus Corporation, of Madison, Wis., succeeds Barr, the president and CEO of Bill Barr & Company, Inc., of Overland Park, Kan. The terms of chairman and past chairman are one year.
Gunderson joined Vita Plus in 1979. He holds a Bachelor of Science degree in Meat & Animal Sciences and a Master of Science in Ag Business Management from the University of Wisconsin-Madison. Gunderson has served twice previously on the AFIA Board of Directors, has chaired the Purchasing and Ingredient Suppliers Committee and most recently served as chairman of the Board of Trustees for the Institute for Feed Education and Research (IFEEDER).
In related business, the Board voted to accept the nomination of Jeff Cannon, Diamond V Mills, to become chairman-elect of the organization. Cannon will succeed Gunderson in May 2013.
New Additions to the Board, Executive Committee
The following individuals were elected to three-year terms on the AFIA Board and began their service with the May Board meeting:
- Shawn Atkins, Anitox Corp.
- Michael Blair, Pilgrim’s Pride Corp.
- Timothy Bodine, PerforMix Nutrition Systems, LLC
- Bruce Crutcher, Trouw Nutrition USA, LLC
- Gregory Duerksen, Kincannon & Reed
- Philip Greene, Foster Farms
- Gregg Griffin, Glanbia Nutritionals
- Gerald May, Kemin AgriFoods North America
- Daniel Meagher, NOVUS International, Inc.
- Robert Norton, Biozyme Inc.
- Donald Orr, JBS United, Inc.
- Ludger Roedder, BASF Corporation
- Michael Van Koevering, Elanco Animal Health
- Jason Vickers, Proctor & Gamble Pet Care
- Edward Wells, Milk Specialties
- Alan Wessler, MFA, Inc.
The following individuals were elected to the AFIA Executive Committee:
- Bill Braman, Chr. Hansen
- Gary Cooper, Cooper Farms, Inc.
- Diane Loiselle, Hill’s Pet Nutrition
- Paul Phillips, Maxi-Lift
- Chad Risley, Lucta USA, Inc.
- Dean Warras, Prince Agri Products, Inc.
Other Key Issues Before the Board
AFIA Board members discussed a range of topics during their time together, including matters pertaining to membership, strategic objectives, finances and regulations and legislation.
The next Board of Directors meeting will be held Oct. 24-25 in Sausalito, Califoria.