News 287 views last update:6 Aug 2012

Feed mixing error becomes fatal for horses

A horse and three ponies have died and several other equids have been temporarily paralyzed following the ingestion of contaminated feed in French Guiana (a department of France located on the northern edge of South America), according to the Departmental Director of Veterinary Services in Cayenne.

Arnaud Martrenchar, DVM, PhD, said that animals in two separate locations suffered "violent symptoms" of paralysis and hepatitis within 24 hours of eating a commercial supplement from a single common bag. The feed had been accidentally contaminated with salinomycin, an ionophore which is often added to poultry feed. The feed manufacturing company, Le Gouessant, based in the North West of France, announced the discovery of their error in late November.

Jean-Charles Oisel, head of communications at Le Gouessant, explained that factory workers had confused the salinomycin additive, coded HYPER 605 SA, with the proper additive, coded HYPER 605. However, serum analyses of the affected equids, performed at the Institut Pasteur in Paris, also revealed the presence of type D botulinum toxins, suggesting a likely combination of factors leading to the animals' reactions.

All fifteen tons of the French Guiana batch of Le Gouessant horse feed were immediately recalled and destroyed.

Related news:
Contaminated corn fatal for horses    
Bad hay affects horse health

To receive more animal feed news, subscribe here

Editor AllAboutFeed

Or register to be able to comment.