News 176 views last update:6 Aug 2012

UK beef farmer accidentally feeds MBM

A UK farmer accidentally fed his Surrey beef cattle pet food, containing meat and bone meal (MBM). This 'accident' was noticed by government vets who visited the farm last year to check on cattle registrations. The farmer believed there was nothing wrong with feeding pet food to his animals.

The vets noticed some strange looking feed in the troughs that turned out to be pet food, intended for rabbits, acquired from a local supplier. Subsequent testing revealed that the food contained meat-and-bone meal, thought to be responsible for the spread of BSE and first banned in UK cattle rations in 1988.

It is believed that no meat from the cattle has entered the human food chain, as the farm has been under movement restrictions since the investigations began. The herd will be slaughtered as a public safety precaution.

Editor AllAboutFeed

Or register to be able to comment.